Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Walker Art Center | Why I Volunteer

Look whose photo and quote is featured on the Walker Art Center website. Me! 


In 1995, when I was 10 years old, my parents took me on a road trip to Chicago, Niagara Falls, Boston, and Maine. In Chicago, we went to the Art Institute of Chicago to see a special exhibition of Monet. It was called "Claude Monet: 1840-1926". That's when I fell in love with art. I stared at those water lilies and poppy fields for hours. I was hooked.

Since then, I've visited major museums all around the world. I know the MIA here in Minneapolis inside and out. And I event got an Art History degree while completing my business degree majors in undergrad ... just because I wanted to. Each semester I took one Art History course ... and it was wonderful to do that with business and learn something so different. I took everything from a course entirely dedicated to the art of Picasso to Art of the Far East. 

Since undergrad, my love of art and art history has mostly been about visiting museums and enjoying the art therein. About a year ago though, I wanted to do more. So, I started volunteering at the Walker Art Center. It was the most versatile volunteer program at the museums, and I need that given I work full time and am finishing up my MBA part time ... and want to have a life somewhere in between. 

Throughout the year I volunteer whenever there are special events and for whatever may come up. December is the busiest month as I volunteer to do usher shifts for the British Arrow Awards (look for a separate post on that later). I take tickets, help guests, and do whatever the Walker needs me to do. Back in December I volunteered for an After Hours party. That's where the above photo was taken. 

I was honored when the Walker asked me to provide a quote so they could feature it with the photo on "why I volunteer". The above pretty much sums it up ... I love art! And I want to be around others who love art as much as I do! And help them enjoy it.

When I finish up school, I would like to get more involved with volunteering and hopefully start getting involved at the MIA as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget