Monday, June 6, 2016

FOMOOPP

I have something really important to share. I have recently been diagnosed (by myself) as suffering from FOMOOPP. Some of you may be familiar with the more general version of this condition known as FOMO. FOMOOPP is related, but more targeted to impacting a specific group of people – photographers.

FOMOOPP: Fear of Missing Out On Perfect Photo

This is a serious, but manageable condition. It usually flares up when traveling, but can be triggered at home as well. The condition has been exacerbated in recent years by the development of digital cameras and high capacity memory cards, as well as smart phones with cameras and large memory storage.

Symptoms include:
·         Taking multiple photos of the same thing from slightly different angles (this can be of “things” such as monuments, landscapes, etc as well people, including but not limited to: portraits, gym mirror selfies, group photos, selfies (in general)
·         Going back to the same place multiple times to take the same photo in slightly different lighting/cloud conditions
·         Constantly second guessing if you have the right angle/lighting/aperture
·         Downloading all photos at the end of the day when traveling to determine if the photos are good, and going back to retake the same photos with slight tweaks based on what you saw from the downloaded photos
·         Using the burst feature to excess (this can be both on DSLR and smart phone cameras)
·         Take the same photo with both a DSLR as well as your smart phone
·         Walking until you cannot feel your feet because you need to make sure you got that perfect photo
·         Never actually putting away your camera because you may miss the perfect photo

I joke … but this is legit. I definitely have a hard time with this when I am traveling, and my recent trip to Washington DC was no exception. I went back to the same spots multiple times to make sure I captured the perfect photo. I walked around the Washington Monument no less than 5 times over a 4 day trip to make sure I had the perfect photo conditions with monument/flags/clouds/lighting/etc. Then of course I gotta get it on my iphone too … in recular and square format. Ohhhh, and I better Snapchat it too!!! 3,500 photos later, and I’m sure I missed out on some good photos. Sigh.



No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget