Tuesday, August 9, 2016

The Past, The Present, The Future

Hello dear readers,

It's been over two months since I last posted. And the posts before that have been spotty this past year. I started this blog back in 2010 as a place of self expression. But in that time a lot has changed that makes me wonder where a blog fits in my life and for what purpose. Now we have Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and much more to help share the story of our lives - both the beautiful curated moments and the silly "behind the scenes" honest moments of life. So what's the purpose of a/this blog? My life in photos in on Instagram. The everyday randomness is on Snapchat (or Instastories if you prefer). So what purpose does this serve?

Perhaps the problem is that I don't have a clear vision of what this blog could (or should) be. What is the strategy? What is the theme?

The original idea behind the title of the blog - Now Boarding at Gate G6 - is all about embarking on new adventures ... no matter what they may be. Adventure could take the form of international travel, but it could also be trying out a new recipe, exploring a new part of Minneapolis, starting up with yoga, or really anything else. It's just about life. But then again ... aren't most blogs? So what makes me different or special?

Nothing really.

If anything, I am probably less special. I don't have cute kids to take photos of and share my life as a mommy. I don't have a man in my life to share cute kissy photos or engagement photos or our silly couple adventures. While I enjoy fashion, I am not in a place where this blog can be all about style inspiration. I don't develop awesome recipes or craft. And to top all that off, the photo thing is a challenge. I actually love to take photos ... love it. And I am pretty decent. But it's pretty darn impossible to be subject and photographer both! I've been spending a lot of time reading other blogs recently and I feel like every single one either partners with others to be the subject of photographer, or they have a spouse or significant other that takes the photos, etc. But what am I supposed to do! I love the idea of taking photos (i.e. photos of someone around the Uptown Art Fair) ... but where do I find a subject?

See. I'm not that special.

But I am me. Just little ol' me. They say (not sure who "they" are though) that you should write about what you know. I think that was actually from the book/movie "Little Women" come to think of it. So what do I know? Maybe that will help me decide on a) if I should keep this blog going, and b) what the topic should be.

  • I know travel. I love it. I prioritize it in my life. I've been to 34 countries - some 4 or 5 or more times. I love going off the beaten path, trying new things and going on adventure. I love travel so much I even have symbols of it tattooed on my body. 
  • I know Minneapolis. I love this city, and I enjoy getting out and doing everything I can in it. From art fairs in the summer to theater all year to fun events to get you outside in winter, I know this city pretty well.
  • I know movies. I go to at least one movie a week on average. More during the awards/holiday season. 
  • I know art. I studied it. I love it.
  • I know how to lose weight. And gain weight. And struggle with my weight.
  • I know Whole30.
  • I know yoga (or at least I'm trying). I know cardio. 
  • I know how to cook a few things. A limited few things.
  • I know how to live my version of a full and rich life.
  • I know photography.
  • I know some other things too: the struggle of online dating, the challenges of being the only one amongst your friends not married or in a serious relationships, shopping, design, books, tattoos, organization, planning, how to make your own yoga mat drying rack (no joke, I totally DIYed that $hit), etc.
But for each thing I know there are at least three things I don't.

So, what should I do. What should this blog be about? Is there even a reason for it? Does anyone but my mom even read this (hi mom!)?

I'd like to continue blogging. I really would. Especially now that my MBA is done, I'd like to have a project. But I only want to do this if there is actually a reason for it. Because otherwise this is nothing more than an elaborate and digital "dear diary". 

So let me know what you think. I'm open to suggestions! Thanks all!

And now, I leave you with a few photos from my apartment. One of my new resolutions is that I want to get out my Canon more often for life in general. Recently I have only taken photos with it while traveling, but it takes such amazing photos and I wish I did more with it just around here. I am really made at myself for not taking it out at the Uptown Art Fair this past weekend. The colors, sky, and people watching would have been great for some photos! Anyway, I took the camera out today and snapped a few photos around the apartment for inspiration. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget